Korean Popular Culture

The Textbook-in-progress of the Ivy League's first class on the Korean Wave. This blog is the work of University of Pennsylvania EALC 198/598 students (Spring 2006 & 2007). Please apply proper citation when using any part of this blog. For details on citing this site see: http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/cite5.html#1

Monday, February 26, 2007

my own Chunhyang is out there. wherefore art thou?

Hello Class. Sorry for the really really late post. I was studyign ALL DAY prepping for my examination so that I can make something of myself and be reunited with the love of my life. >_<. ok. bad joke. Anyways, i thought the production was a beautiful "film festival" type of movie. I thought the pansori singer was well weaved into the movie. I know some of the non-Korean speakers in the class probably heard his voice projections as a miserable animal's last dying cries; however, I enjoyed the singer for that particular sound. The emotion and energy to sing like that is incredible. While walking back from the library, I tried to immitate the sound the singer made but I just wasted my energy trying to create that meloncholy sound. Something that caught me near the end of the movie is when Chunhyang's mother says "it's better to have a daughter like Chunhyang than a son." I was quite surprised by such a comment. I'm wondering if that's really a saying that people have put to the Chunhyang character or if it's just the voice of a contemporary korean individual. It is doubtful to me that Koreans back in the Chosun period would praise Chunhyang to the point of demeaning the ever-so-precious son. Another question I wanted to ask the ladies in the class if they were offended at all by the fact that Chunhyang-the female, was expected to be chaste and loyal til death to her man? Was it too chauvenistic or was the love story worth such a view of a wife. Just curious. Don't hate me.
-deekoh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home