Korean Popular Culture

The Textbook-in-progress of the Ivy League's first class on the Korean Wave. This blog is the work of University of Pennsylvania EALC 198/598 students (Spring 2006 & 2007). Please apply proper citation when using any part of this blog. For details on citing this site see: http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/cite5.html#1

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Korean Cinema Resource

KOFIC (Korean Film Councel) web site:
http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/films/feature_films.asp

I like this web site since it shows information on the most current Korean movies.
I heard "King and the Clown / Wang-ui Namja" is very popular now in Korea. You might want to check it out.

I am not sure whether Korean movie is as popular as Korean dramas in other Asian regions. Still, the quality of Korean movie has certainly improved a lot for last ten or twenty years from my perspective. I still remember that when I was ten or fifteen years olds, I have never went to watch a Korean movie in a movie theater. I always watched them in video at home, and I think it was similar for most people.

The trend changed around 1990 when Korean hit movies emerged, and suddenly it was not "waste of money" to watch Korean movies in movie theater. I see more Korean movies than Hollywood movies in theater thesedays, so at least for me, the the trend has certainly changed. (JungYeon Kim)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home