Korean Popular Culture

The Textbook-in-progress of the Ivy League's first class on the Korean Wave. This blog is the work of University of Pennsylvania EALC 198/598 students (Spring 2006 & 2007). Please apply proper citation when using any part of this blog. For details on citing this site see: http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/cite5.html#1

Monday, January 22, 2007

Globalism

Before last semester, I really did not know much about Korea, only knew that it existed. I didn’t know what their traditional clothes look like nor do I know how their languages sound like. However, last semester, there were a few important things that happened to me that led me to become much more interested in Korea and its culture. First, my roommate is Korean. Second, my Asian friends were talking about Korean drama ever so excitedly. Finally, in my Japanese Pop Culture class, my professor actually brought in a book that housed the entire script to Winter Sonata that essentially taught Japanese people the Korean language! After seeing the cover of that book, I think I had hit the lid that was supposed to contain my curiosity. So when I went back to my room, I asked my roommate if she knew about Winter Sonata (but, of course she would know). She became very enthusiastic about recommending all the top drama to watch and told me to watch them all. I went and *did* watch them all; I was swept by the Hallyu. The drama I thought that really brought the culture to light was Goong, revealing the traditional clothing and customs. In terms of modernity, perhaps Let’s Go to School Sang-doo reflects Korean society the most today: ordinary people dealing with financial issues, unfair justice systems (in terms of lower class citizens), and family issues.

As the Koreans are entering seemingly a paradox between globalization and nationalism, I do agree with Gi-Wook Shin that “globalization…intensif[ies], rather than weaken, ethnic/national identity…”. It is because that people are moving towards modernity, as it is often associated with de-ethicizing a country of her roots, that I believe that people are chasing after what they are losing. Thus, we can start to think of our traditional customs as being special and sacred.

Other than globalism, another factor that strengthens ethnicity is of course media. Before the Hallyu hit the Asia continent, only older people watched saguk dramas. However, the younger generation is watching more of these saguk, although that is mainly because the directors are keener on inserting a love story behind those dramas. This exemplifies the nationalism, the going-back-to-the-past, that the Koreans are experiencing. Nevertheless, it is similar to a cycle. Because the media was able to produce influential material about the traditional Korea, thus more people are interested in that area. As this interest grows, more media will be produced to satisfy the demand. Relating to one’s ethnic identity, which is basically equivalent to bringing out the country’s history, became more popular en masse.

I know, it's getting late. And yes, I'm eating kimchee as I'm typing this.

3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger sandy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger sandy said...

I completely agree with you and especially like the quote you highlighted: “globalization…intensif[ies], rather than weaken, ethnic/national identity…”. I think you word it really well, "chasing after what they are losing"--a lot of my American-born Korean friends are making a deliberate effort to reconnect to their Korean roots (taking Korean classes, joining KSA, watching Korean dramas, listening to Korean music, etc.) and it is interesting to watch that concept play out in real life.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger KoreanPop@Penn said...

I think it is interesting what you bring up in regards to how the media and the dramas persay influence the nationalism of Korea. I got the same kind of idea out of the readings but I think it should also be noted that it is noted that there are other mediums of spreading nationalistic nostalgia as you have rightfully pointed out. Perhaps in the next couple of weeks as we continue to read more, they may come out. But I think even video games that are not modern "slashers" but feature characters of the past can play a big role. More so, I think that more successful modern dramas, in the sense that they are about modern times, can infiltrate more and more cultural reference as they realize they are the ones spreading the word. The question is how do they do that?

-mt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home