Korean Popular Culture

The Textbook-in-progress of the Ivy League's first class on the Korean Wave. This blog is the work of University of Pennsylvania EALC 198/598 students (Spring 2006 & 2007). Please apply proper citation when using any part of this blog. For details on citing this site see: http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/cite5.html#1

Friday, April 13, 2007

Done Already?!

Looking back, it was interesting to make the connection that I started and ended with Hwang Jin-I in the class. As I am watching that drama for my paper, I've noticed so much more subtleties than before. I noticed and understood the messages that the drama tries to pass (in which I won’t discuss now since it is my paper), and identified elements in the drama with all of the isms we’d discussed in class. This class also made me aware of that there are other aspects to the Korean pop culture other than their drama. Although drama is what is most popular, I have neglected their music (not the soundtracks) and history. I began to take note of the actors’ and actresses’ mannerisms, speech, even the language itself.

Among the readings–to be honest–the articles were much more enjoyable than the texts because they pertained to the Korean culture, and felt a little detached when reading the texts since their examples didn’t. I can’t wait until there actually would be a condensed text of Korean Pop Culture. I especially liked the section about the internet and technology because it shed light on a new aspect of the Koreans. However, it seems to be a neglected segment of popular culture: internet is what spreads the culture. Learning that this also permeated the lives of youngsters in Korea and how the governments tried to regulate some of their behaviors was most interesting. It was also interesting to know how the government tries to preserve the traditional integrate those elements into the current lifestyles of the Koreans today. I can really see the effort in the drama out there. Although this class may be over, I will continue watch Korean drama with a critical eye and listen to pop music with an appreciation that I never had before.

2 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger deeKoh said...

i do agree that the articles were more fun and comprehensible than the reading from the texts, however, i believe the information that must be extracted from the books are more worthwhile. just the intellectual jargon like glocalization and metanarratives prsented are the jewels that these texts contain. i just wish i was more proficient at excavating such precious words. To go along with the internet comment, i agree that the internet is a powerful vehicle to spread culture and ideas and aide in the process of globalization of regional ideas and thoughts. this class did a good job of showing the effectiveness of technology in terms of the spread of korean culture. even using this blogger site is a high-tech addition to my academic experience. as for helen's revelation to the ingenuity of the korean language i'm glad you finally realized the brilliance of the hangul language. i encourage you to keep on watching these dramas and may you learn the wise ways of korean culture.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Teresa Dong (董泰利) said...

I agree that articles were better to read. My favorite was the one by Feffer on food tho' the ones on music weren't bad too. The internet unit was interesting too esp the paper on PC bangs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home