Korean Popular Culture

The Textbook-in-progress of the Ivy League's first class on the Korean Wave. This blog is the work of University of Pennsylvania EALC 198/598 students (Spring 2006 & 2007). Please apply proper citation when using any part of this blog. For details on citing this site see: http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/cite5.html#1

Friday, April 06, 2007

What's "Taiwanese Wave" in Korean?

Boy Band F4 Invites Korean Fans to Taiwan

I thought that this article provided a nice counterpoint to the readings on Hallyu we did for this week. Sung Kim talked about anti-Hallyu and how various Taiwanese groups and media people have tried to end the "one-way" cultural exchange that Korea seems to be promoting and enjoying. I would say that using a Taiwanese boy band to promote Korean tourism to Taiwan is an example of subtle anti-Hallyu sentiment, but I do think it also evidences that the Taiwanese are trying to follow successful Korean examples. Korean stars have been used as spokespeople for various products quite profitably, and there is no reason to think that Korean fans of F4 can't be convinced to do whatever their idols tell them to do. Sang-Yeon Sung discusses in "The Hanliu Phenomenon in Taiwan: TV dramas and Teenage Pop" how Taiwanese media sources place Taiwan at the center of the "Korean Wave." So, it would be interesting to see if F4, which emerged in 2000 and found fame in Korea in 2002 (5 years ago!), could possibly spark a "Taiwanese Wave" in Korea. Will they be able to get Korean youth to spend their parents' money on Taiwanese cultural products? Will they be able to convince Korean housewives to take tours in Taiwan of places featured in TV dramas that F4 members themselves have starred in?

These (here and here) are unrelated to our discussion of Hallyu, but I thought I would link to them because I love Turkey (the country, not the meat, although I also love turkey meat)! Turkey and Korea must share some sort of special bond. I swear my dad is half-Turkish because he looks like so many of the men I saw in Istanbul. And, the way that the Turkish cook their fish tastes exactly like how my mom (and, therefore, all Koreans) cooks fish. Genius!

3 Comments:

At 4:38 AM, Blogger Helen said...

i don't think that using f4 as the spokespeople is anti-hallyu. many countries use famous stars to represent their countries because everyone would know them, like Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat, Lee Young-ae ( Dae Jang Geum), or sakai noriko (from hitotsu yane no shita, an older but very famous trendy drama).

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Teresa Dong (董泰利) said...

F4...*cringe*
As a Chinese American who's parents are from Taiwan, I would hate to think that they will be the ones selected to represent Taiwan (because they're acting skills are mediocre and they're singing skills are horrible). Considering the fact that most of them have not had very successful careers recently, I would think Jolin and Jay Chou (as much as I don't like him...either) would be better choices. That said, I guess the translatability of pop is difficult so I guess the visual would be the way to go...(yet I don't really feel F4 is that attractive, their only redeeming quality is their height).

But back to the point about anti-Hallyu. I personally am conflicted to tell if its really anti-Hallyu, one would need to look at the historical context and whether is promotion by famous stars of their homelands has been as active as this one before Hallyu.

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was researching for anti-hallyu for my masters thesis and found this page. interestingly, you refer to Turkey-Korea relations even though it is totally off-topic. well, I am Turkish and I found it interesting :) did you know there is a cultural center at 역삼역? check www.turkey.or.kr ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home