Korean Popular Culture

The Textbook-in-progress of the Ivy League's first class on the Korean Wave. This blog is the work of University of Pennsylvania EALC 198/598 students (Spring 2006 & 2007). Please apply proper citation when using any part of this blog. For details on citing this site see: http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/cite5.html#1

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Lean back, lean back

Hello class. My apologies for the late post. Due to the Spring Fling festivities and keeping true to my Korean nature of alcohol consumption, I was mentally, physically unable to submit a coherent post yesterday. Anyhoo, let me just say Wow. I can’t believe we spent over 40 hours talking about Korean popular culture. To be honest, like Teresa, I enjoy the consumption of Korean pop culture and did not expect to extrapolate deep meaning from them. However, Jina totally pushed me to my academic limits with this class. I guess since I am a science major and the farthest I’ve digressed from science intensive classes would be like a writing seminar, I never really took these deep thinking almost philosophical classes. I mean that Cultural Theory was so convoluted to me. No matter how many times I would read Storey’s book, I was completely lost on what he was talking about. I’m still unsure about post-modernism vs modernism. With that being said, I can definitely say I’ve learned a new aspect of learning. Instead of learning concepts and remembering how things work like in the science world, I was exposed to an abstract thinking type of class which I am still in the process of learning. I mean who seriously watches “Jewel in the Palace” to extract the significance of the plethora of Korean food presented in the film and relate that to Korean nationalism? Personally, I saw the food and just wanted to call mommy and tell her to have that pahjun made when I arrive home. But no. I am an edumacated college man now. I shall try to see beyond the food and try to see why this food is being shown so ostentatiously. Is the government trying to impose some new culture on us in a form of Marxism? So yea. To make a long entry short, I just want to say after taking this class I’ve learned to look past the entertainment factor in Korean popular culture. Sure, Korean popular culture is addictinly entertaining; however, leaning back, stepping back and examining why it’s popular and digesting concepts like Hallyu will enable me to learn about the society that I live in and about myself and my interests. I know am not gifted with So-Jin’s articulating skills or Geoff’s audacity to comment on everyone else’s comments, but I hope what I tried contributing to our discussion in my vernacular form didn’t detract from all your guys’ learning experience. With that said, there is only one last topic we haven’t covered: Korean soju. Let us take full advantage of this Spring Fling atmosphere and experience first hand this great beverage that is not only part of high Korean culture but with the low as well. One shot homies! Thanks for a great semester!

6 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger jackiejunn said...

I agree. The theory book was not the easiest thing in the world. If it makes you feel any better, I don't get half of the things in that book (probably more). At least I tried, eh? I think this class definitely pushed my limit on how to apply concepts to something in real life. I'm also a science major and all I do is sit, memrize, and regurgitate. Except for my animal cognition class that's giving me ulcers, I swear. Anyways, back to Korean culture. It is more than just a form of entertainment. It reflects how contemporary Korea is and Koreans are. It could present a fragmented picture, but at least we get to see a glimpse of Korean culture.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger mike tesauro said...

Nice honest post! Cultural theory was certainly a difficult book. I had to read certain sections over and over to get a general idea of the concepts. Also, I think we've all learned to look past the pure entertainment aspect of Korean popular culture. This in turn allows us a better understanding of popular culture in general.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Helen said...

wow, seems like a lot of us agree with you. that book was difficult, but we made it!

soju and sake...i wonder what they taste like?

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Teresa Dong (董泰利) said...

I found cultural theory difficult too and it took me a while to get through the chapters...but it made the discussions "deep" and "meaningful" and gave us a look at culture beyond the superficial level ... so I guess it is useful for this class.

So what does soju taste like? How about Makgeolli(sp?) the white Korean alcoholic stuff they had in Fantasy Couple?

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Jaimmy Chun said...

very very hard. not just the cultural theory book, but the the translation book was the hardest to me :(

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Luis Moreno said...

PLEASE HELP: Can anyone help me find links to the “Dream Team” episodes. I have tried to search for them on YOUTUBE.COM and I ca not find that much information about the show... not even on wikipedia. please email me if ou have eny leads... I would love to watch them again. The show is evry funny! I read that someone on this BLOG wrote about this Korean Game show.

Luis Moreno
LuisGM@GMail.com
New York, NY

“Dream Team” is a game show where a random group of celebrities were brought together and deemed the “Dream Team”. These team would then compete local teams (whether they be a local high school Taekwondo team, the national wrestling team, or even a group of African natives) in a series of games that required agility, stamina, and strength.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home