Korean Popular Culture

The Textbook-in-progress of the Ivy League's first class on the Korean Wave. This blog is the work of University of Pennsylvania EALC 198/598 students (Spring 2006 & 2007). Please apply proper citation when using any part of this blog. For details on citing this site see: http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/cite5.html#1

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Japanese...wait. Korean anime?

As a huge anime connoisseur, I have searched through my fair share of Japanese articles, mangas, and shows, but I was surprised to find a short time ago commentaries on Korean animation. I have always associated anime with Japan not Korea and this only enticed me further through my perplexed state and slight disappointment in the Koreans imitating Japan yet again. At first glance I assumed that the drawing style, plot, and general anime atmosphere was hastily copied; however, gazing at the Korean cartoons, it is obvious the styles are far from similar. They appear in “chibi” form with emphasis on less detail to the sketch and more on the emotions portrayed.

So the question is, what are the major factors differentiating Korean and Japanese anime and manga (or in Korean, Manhwa)? Beginning with graphic novels, the most obvious alteration from Japanese to Korean is the direction in which one reads. Both Korean and Japanese graphic novels vary in creative topics. However, the cultural differences between the two countries are eminent throughout the storylines, and the competitive spirit with Japan is blatantly apparent in Korean plots.

As diverse as the graphic novels seem, Japanese anime and manga are innovative (for the most part) and rely on fresh ideas. From the one popular Korean anime I have scrutinized through (BASToF Syndrome, which is based on a popular game), it seems generic and tedious. I was disappointed by the less than par drawings and plot, but perhaps it was due to the fact it was geared for a younger audience. Although this anime is fairly new (2001), it had poor graphics and resembled the gundam series almost exactly between plot and mechas. Another trend I have noticed is Korea’s undeniable focus on violence. However, these are broad generalizations considering I have read only one graphic novel and seen two animated series. What I have seen I have neither disliked nor loved, and I am an incredibly unsympathetic critic. Therefore, I would not protest to immersing myself further into Korea’s new animated industry, although I deem Japanese anime on a much higher level.

On a side note, I am surprised more Korean anime has not hit the American market and that Korean anime/graphic novels are not more popular in the states considering this is such a novel industry for the country. Not only does this imply Korea’s growing culture (and influence by Japan) but its desire to equal and surpass Japan. Unfortunate for Korea, Japan has a firmer base in animation through thirty plus years in the industry, however, since, in my opinion, Korean films are innovative and refreshing, their anime could eventually follow this path. (EB)

1 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand when one says there is influence by Japan in certain aspects of modern popular culture of Korea, however if one looks further, they will see a great deal of what is Japanese culture in many levels imitations or borrowed culture from Korea. For those of you Japan Lovers, if you do not understand, before misunderstanding that statement you should learn the history and the relationship between Korea and Japan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home